Thursday, March 15, 2012

Fall/Winter 2012 - My favorite runway pieces, part one

When New York, London, Milan and Paris fashion weeks are taking place, my mind tends to wander from other tasks at hand. As a matter of fact, whole hours have been known to seemingly disappear within a span of a few minutes. Sometimes I start scrolling through the posted runway photos on my phone to the point where my stomach growls and I realize that I've been scrolling for...two hours. I become so entranced that it's like I've entered the matrix of fashion.

At first, I take screenshots on my phone of the looks to which I'm instantly drawn. I then go scroll back through all of the shows to see if I notice any recurring themes that are apparent throughout several shows. I'll be sure to scroll through once more to take a peek at accessories and the backstage beauty, and then I'll check to see if any front row dwellers showed up looking spectacular. Then on to peep the dazzling peacock-like display of street style that can prompt inspiration, confusion, intrigue, envy or fatigue.

Basically, this is a month-long digital scrolling fest. My right index finger needs a vacation afterward, but my mind is sated.

Though every line is lovely, here are some of the pieces that most resonated with me (all images c/o nymag.com):

No. 1 - Dennis Basso's tangerine gown
The vibrant hue, the semi-sheer, sparkling bodice, the plunging - but not overt - neckline, the pleated, swirling skirt and the fingerhole sleeves have combined to create a masterpiece of a gala gown.

No. 2 - Belstaff cropped wool jacket
When a longer or heavier coat isn't the right fit for the occasion, this hazelnut number is a great substitution.

No. 3 - Belstaff long wool coat
However, should a heavier coat be just what is called for, I would immediately encase myself in this cinched, tri-tone number.

No. 4 - Carlos Miele nude blazer + gown
Refined, upscale boho.

No. 5 - T by Alexander Wang tulip racerback dress + leather pants
Dress it up, dress it down, add color, or don't. The possibilities are endless. The dress shape is unbelievable; structured, yet simple.

No. 5 - T by Alexander Wang shirt dress
Change the color, add leather pants and lose the t-shirt portion, and you've got the previously mentioned dress. See? Versatile to the max.

No. 6 - Oscar de la Renta metallic-tinged periwinkle dress
This dress is what every woman's inner child wants to wear. If one were to create a single dress inspired by Wendy from Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and Cinderella, this would be it.


No. 7 - Anna Sui royal blue caftan
For as long as I can remember, I have collected flowy fabrics in the form of saris, wraps, pashminas, shawls, etc. This airy, gold-flecked caftan would be a dream to wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment