Sunday, March 11, 2012

In this Issue No. 1 - Vogue

This post - and ensuing series of posts titled 'In this Issue' - revolves around my love affair with magazines.

I'm not a pack rat and I like my living spaces to be tidy, but I cannot part with past issues of my favorite pubs. Whenever I browse through my archives and reread an issue, I'll inevitably find an article, photo, product, style collage, advertisement, etc. that catches my eye and inspires me in a way differently than when I first got the magazine. I've torn out pages and tacked them onto my inspo (read: inspiration) board above my desk, kept pictures in my planner for constant reference (style photos and quotes most often get this treatment), used them whilst trying out a new makeup look and more. From well-written articles to adeptly organized trend sets to intriguing book, show and movie reviews, a magazine is a medium overflowing with well-curated information on a variety of interests and topics.

'In this Issue' is where I'll post the pages I've plucked from magazines and tell how and why they've inspired me.

No. 1: This September 2004 Vogue issue had a tri-fold cover that featured six of the world's top models of the time, including: Daria Werbowy, Natalia Vodianova, Gisele Bundchen, Isabeli Fontana, Karolina Kurkova, Liya Kebede, Hana Soukapova, Gemma Ward and Karen Elson. It was (at the time) the biggest issue to date, and gathered extra acclaim because it featured models on the cover when usually only celebrities received face time. This cover stands out to me because I had become intrigued by, infatuated over and then mildly obsessed with fashion and beauty by the time I was a freshman in high school. When this cover appeared at the start of my sophomore year, I remember picking it up while on vacation and rereading the issue until the spine came unglued. And the obsession with magazines, fashion and beauty has yet to subside.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment