Thursday, April 19, 2012

In this Issue No. 8 - Keel's Simple Diary

I've always been, and likely will always be, fascinated with journals and/or books that prompt the reader to document things in its pages. Regardless of if I walk into a bookstore with a purpose, that is, with intent to buy one predetermined item, inevitably I will be stopped in my tracks by a "write-in-me" book of some sort. For instance, some examples of popular (and very fun, from experience) "write-in-me" books include:

Wreck This Journal, where each page denotes a new task for the reader to accomplish, such as lighting a page on fire or coloring a page with food.

 (image c/o amazon.com)

My friend brought this book out for a group of us to play with, and though the prompts were intriguing, my mind started to wander after completing a few pages. It started to feel like more of a task than a rebellious act of fun to do something weird to a piece of paper.  *Side note: However, it could also be due to the fact that I thought the whole "put food on this page, then continue using this book day after day while the stench grows more foul and permeates your nostrils" thing probably turned me off of it.


The Listography book set is a series of journals that are comprised of...you guessed it, lists. I love this book because I make lists all the time. All the time. List-making keeps me sane by lessening the amount of stress I put on my brain and by appeasing my ADD at the same time. Win-win, no?

 (image c/o barnesandnoble.com)

Anyway, these books are fun and thought-provoking. For example, one of the lists featured in the book asks, "List what you've been for Halloween," while another prompts the reader to describe bad habits that he or she would like to overcome.


The other book that I found via Nylon Mag's website is Keel's Simple Diary.

(image c/o simplediary.com)

The diary, conceived by artist and author James Keel, was created so that people may document their days simply, without worry as to the time and introspection needed to put meaningful words to paper, you know, the things that hinder people from starting to journal in the first place. The pages within the diary can be nonsensical, but they definitely promote introspection, and can show us a lot about ourselves should we look back to page one after a month or a year of jotting down daily summaries. The fact that copies of the journal come in the ROYGBIV color selection and that there are two versions should be motivation enough to grab yourself a copy.

The bright and sunny yellow copy is what caught my attention as I was waiting in line at my local bookstore, and so that is the color I chose for myself. As you may remember from an earlier post, the color yellow and I are getting acquainted now that I've ascertained that we aren't enemies. Here is my copy of the journal as well as a few of the cool pages that you can find in the book.







And a nice little note tucked into the back cover pocket was waiting for me. Nothing like a custom note (intended to be viewed by thousands of people) to make one feel special.

No comments:

Post a Comment