Sunday, April 15, 2012

My search for the perfect black leather flats

Like dark, well-tailored jeans, a fitted black blazer, and a good handbag, black flats are on the priority list for things that every woman should own. Black flats are my go-to shoe as they are a staple that makes everything classy by association.

I've worn flats by numerous brands, provided that the shoes are unadorned, are comfortable, and are made of leather. If each of these three stipulations has been met, then we're in business. I always dread the moment when I notice wear and tear on my current pair of black flats, because this means that a new replacement purchase is impending. And while browsing around for new shoes is usually a fun endeavor, my search for new black flats is usually a daunting task. This is due to the fact that I want simple, well-made shoes, and I find that many brands choose cheap fabrics and use a lot of decorative accents to make their flats stand out WHEN ALL THAT IS WANTED IS A PLAIN, SLEEK STYLE.

Basically, anything close to this Lanvin ballet flat would be the ideal shoe.


 (photo c/o lanvin.com)

I remember becoming mildly obsessed with this style when I kept seeing photographs of Angelina Jolie running around town in these babies, and I loved how the flats weren't clunky, but rather made a seamless transition from legs to shoe. I already know that a pair of these flats will be my first big shoe purchase for myself, and I can't wait for that day to come. It hasn't come yet, but I will use the style for inspiration toward other purchases. Therefore, whenever I look for shoes now, I ask myself, ''Will this give you the 'Lanvin effect'?" If the answer is yes, then I've got a new pair of shoes.

After six months of searching both online and in stores, I found the best flat in the form of Dolce Vita's Lucca style. Leather? Check. Unadorned? Check. Nice, pointy toe? Check. Comfortable? Check check. 


Should you be in the market for a wonderful pair of black flats, I can attest that these would be a lovely addition to your wardrobe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment